What is ESMR Therapy?
ESMR means Extracorporeal Shockwave Myocardial Revascularisation. ESMR can also be termed Non-invasive cardiac Angiogenesis therapy.
This shockwave therapy it’s like an Ultrasound wave with high intensity and short duration. The sound wave are generated by an underwater high voltage spark, which are delivered non-intensively, focused by a special ellipsoid reflector. The reflector is coupled to the patient’s skin near the affected area with a water cushion. The focal zone distance into the patient’s body is adjusted according to the clinical requirements.
This therapy approach using extracorporeal shockwave technology for myocardial revascularisation (i.e. to improve the blood supply to Heart Muscles). Ischemic myocardial areas no longer accessible by conventional revascularisation therapies like Bypass surgery or Balloon Angioplasty & stent, could be treated with the ESMR therapy to relieve symptoms resulted from the myocardial ischemia.
Applicable candidates for ESMR?
- Chronic chest pain after Angioplasty or Bypass surgery.
- Blockage after Angioplasty or Bypass.
- Patient having blockages 70%-80% in angiogram.
- Chronic renal disease with ischemic heart disease.
- Medically or anatomically unfit for Bypass surgery.
- Patient not willing or mentally stable for surgical procedure.
Purpose of ESMR?
The purpose of this non-invasive treatment is to produce new pathways around the blocked arteries in ischemic zone of the heart by expanding collaterals that help increase & normal blood flow to heart muscle.
What is treatment duration & strategy?
The whole treatment duration is 20-30 min and the patient should undergo a series of nine treatment session during a nine week period.
Treatments at first week of each month- 1st, 5th & 9th week) at each treatment session shockwaves are delivered to the border of the ischemic area.
Advantages of ESMR?
- Avoid Bypass, Angioplasty & Stenting procedure.
- Non-invasive treatment.
- No risk, No side effect.
- No anaesthesia
- No retreatment limitations.
How we know the result of treatment?
- Patient can work or walk more without chest pain.
- Patient would have no angina.
- Patient need less medication.
- Patient would be more energetic & confident.